Friday, August 15, 2008

Expanding the horizons...

Just a day before India's Independence Day, I had an interesting experience which lead my mind on a marathon path.
I was visiting my doctor for checkup on that day. Early morning 8 00 sharp I entered the clinic, and was first confused if I ended up at a wrong place. It looked more like a spa rather then a clinic.! I went ahead to the reception immediately and confirmed my appointment. Filled up a regular form and gave my insurance card to the receptionist. After a few minutes the receptionist came back to handover the card back to me. As he was giving the card to me, he pointed to the "Tata" logo on the card and said - "Is this the same company which produces the smallest car in the world?". I was shocked, then surprised, then proud and then enthused.! I replied - "Its not only the smallest but also the cheapest car". Thinking that I had supplied a sensational bit of information to him, I felt great pride. But immediately bringing me back from cloud no 9, he replied - "I know, and I think they also recently purchased Rover and some other expensive car brands, isn't it?". And I replied back instantaneously - "Jaguar".!
I might sound lunatic when I call this an interesting experience, but it indeed was for me. After the checkup when it was time for the tests, the friendly assistant doctor put several drops of allergens on my forehand and asked me to wait for sometime so that those allergens can show their effect. While waiting there I thought, never had I seen a common American looking up to Indian business groups so highly. More then a Tata employee, I felt proud as an Indian. Way to go..!
Creating a 1 lakh rs car has not only made a big Indian Middle class dream easily achievable, it also has brought a great glory and recognition for Indian expertise in technology and business. Adding to that, the takeover of Land Rover and Jaguar has really left huge footprint on global auto industry. So much so that recently when 4Ps Business and Marketing magazine released its annual ranking of "Companies that make India proud", Tata topped the list..! (Ref)
And this is not the only international M&A activity that has expanded the horizons of Indian business groups. But certainly I would say this one had probably the highest visibility and impact.
When Padma Vibhushana Ratan Tata unveiled the 1 lakh rs car Tata Nano, most people talked about environmental issues, the big Indian Middle Class dream, the cheap car etc etc. I have not heard anyone talking about the visibility this has given on the Global canvas.
That's why people like Mr Ratan Tata are called VISIONARY. Hats Off Mr Tata.!!

The learning here is that, just technical expertise and hardwork doesn't yield maximum results. You need to have a vision to direct the expertise and hardwork in the right direction.

2 comments:

Hardik Shah said...

It is indeed a proudful event, everytime we hear such comments from American citizins. It includes all (Non-Resident) Indians who left India to decide their destiny somewhere else..! I would like to add something here...we have GPS available in India...! One might be amazed but that is true...when I came to know about it first time few days back I realized that the old days are gone when (non-resident) Indians were talking about GPS in car, navigating thru roads.

So our final destiny should be our land where our dead are burried...!

Gandalf said...

Whenever I see a Jag here on US roads, I proudly exclaim "That's Tata". It feels great. Business achievements along with social responsibility. This combination makes Tatas a great force.